- Public Outreach
- NMDB Brochures
- Cosmic rays : high energy particles from the Universe
- Solar Wind, Heliosphere, and Cosmic Ray Propagation
- Cosmic rays and the Earth
- Impact: Technological and biological effects of cosmic rays
- Neutron monitor network : fundamental research and applications
- A few technical details
- Questions ?
Revision of Origin from May 21, 2009 - 6:23pm
The origin of cosmic rays : solar flares and CMEs,
supernova remnants, …
Cosmic rays is the collective name for energetic particles of different origins:
- High-energy galactic cosmic rays (GCRs) penetrate the solar system - also called the heliosphere - from sources in our Galaxy or still farther away.
- A second population is the anoma1ous cosmic rays (ACRs), with interstellar neutral atoms as parents.
- A third population has an internal source: the Sun itself (solar cosmic rays, SCRs; also called solar energetic particles, acronym SEPs).